Monday, June 1, 2015

traffic boxes and public art- Boise is full of opportunity

I am fortunate to live in a city with a thriving public art program. One way in which this manifests is with Boise's terrific traffic box wrap program. I have been selected to create 2 boxes.
 
This is the first one I did- "king of the road", based on the story that Roger Miller wrote the song at the Idanha Hotel in Boise, with is at the other end of the block from this piece. I was tickled to get this location because I have always loved that story. I had so much fun with this- and there are lots of personal touches, like Halle looking out on the street, a note declaring "amber kissed a boy here" because my friend, upon hearing that I had gotten the box on this corner, told me that she had done just that.

 

 
My second box, below, incorporates my photography. The year I was awarded this location the jurors were drawn to bird images, so naturally I fit right in. This is less personal than the first but was still a great deal of fun to do. Called "there's a feeling I get".
 
 

 
Boise's traffic box program is a terrific way to introduce artists to public art. For most of us, it's a virgin public art project. That means the first time designing to a template, going through an approvals process, making requested revisions with grace (not always easy). We get to meet and work with city Public Art officials and learn. We also get paid! Bonus!
 
Since my first traffic box, I've done 3 other public art projects- TB 2, an installation with my friend Lynn at the Foothills Learning Center, and am in process of a third traffic box for the city of Ketchum. This one incorporates the theme Sun Valley Serenade, which is a movie that was filmed in Sun Valley/Ketchum and plays on continuous loop in the Sun Valley Lodge. This one is very large, so I don't have it nicely laid out like the previous ones. Top is the parking lot side, bottom is the street side.
 

 
The lessons learned in Boise came in handy here, as I worked with the city to confirm dimensions (something I would never have thought of) and redid the original art due to copyright concerns. Can't wait to see this installed!
 
I'm so grateful for the opportunity to learn and to share my art with the world. The first traffic box also led to inclusion in the city's first Public Arts Academy, which provides all sorts of information to artists on finding Public Art opportunities and how to submit proposals. Last week, I submitted an unsolicited proposal for the airport- looking forward to seeing how it is received.
 
I look forward to sharing images of the big box above when it's installed, and sharing details of my unsolicited proposal if (when) it is accepted. Love stretching and trying new things- on to the next adventure!
 
 

No comments: