Thursday, May 21, 2015

the view from up here

since i'm not in the gallery any more and have freed my mind from the "must make new art" track i'm just exploding with ideas.
 
being in the gallery and making myself produce was good for me. it matters to me to be a working artist- which means making art regularly. that experience was a great practice. i made the decision not to repeat the art that i hung and was able to do that for a long time. i learned a lot about my process and about working as an artist.
 
i started traveling more for work, feeling less inspired to make what had been selling, having less time to be involved.
 
traveling lends itself to my first love, photography. i love being able to shoot with my phone. i love the retro camera app. i am an annoying facebooker and instagrammer (handy thing to do when bored in airports).
 
i also love maps and geography and knowing what i am looking at from an airplane window. i love seeing things i recognize- the grand, the mississippi delta, mt hood, the golden gate bridge- out of an airplane window and getting a new perspective. i was sooooo excited when i pinpointed centennial marsh flying in to boise one day.
 
and- i take pictures.
 






 
 
i feel a series brewing- this one will be more about photography than painting. i love the scratched plane windows and reflections. i love how amazing it is to be able to fly places, and that i am lucky enough to do that as often as i do.
 
i hope to share that sense of awe and amazement. i am also very grateful to feel that way about flying (mostly) when so much of it isn't fun any more.
 
there may be a public art proposal in here.......
 



1 comment:

Barb said...

First of all, I can't believe you passed through Breck and didn't let me know! (Although, I might have been in Denver at that time...) Did your parents move? Anyway, I'm glad you're back to blogging and, of course, you've always inspired me with your photography. I think it was after meeting you that I set my camera to RAW and never looked back (although, I'm taking more IPhone photos now, too.) Did I tell you I finally got a micro 4/3 camera - an Olympus. I'm still learning to use it! I'll try to find you on Instagram. Have a fun weekend.