Wednesday, May 27, 2015

photo practice


we're headed off to yellowstone next week and I have been shooting with the new lens to get myself ready. pretty pleased with the results. the images below were all shot hand held, which is not optimal, but is reality much of the time. not all are as sharp as I would like, but I have ordered a beanbag to steady the lens and am experimenting with shooting at less than full extension and apertures of f8 or higher.
 
it helps that my nikon d800 is so amazing- 36 megapixels and good performance at high isos. since we can't afford a lens that costs as much as a car this is a wonderful alternative and I can't wait to see what shots I get in the park, where a tripod can be more of an option.

 
 
great horned owl

 
pronghorn

 
female tree swallow

 
wilson's snipe

 
short eared owl

 
bald eagles
 
 
i'm using the sony with a 70-200 lens for landscapes. like the option of not changing lenses all of the time. this camera captures images as well as the d300 did, and is much easier to pack around. 
 


 
 
this time of year is so beautiful, and I can't wait to see what we see in the park this year.
 
judy- i'd say buy the lens- you won't be sorry-
 

1 comment:

Barb said...

Love seeing spring in your area! That owl! I'm also lusting after a zoom for my micro 4/3 - luckily, it's on backorder.