Sunday, February 16, 2014

bowing to the inevitable- bookmaking

let's see..... since I last posted on February 2 I have been to Phoenix, Portland and Southern California. With an unplanned stay in San Fran due to a missed connection.
 
this week, I go to Lubbock, Texas. Luckily the Fort Worth portion of that trip was scrapped. Friday next week, Florida. After that, Chicago. and it's not like I have less work to do because I am traveling- there have been plenty of late nights and weekend hours in there to stay caught up too.
 
I'm not getting much art made. I took a leave from the gallery, which has given much needed breathing room. I've been buying moleskine journals and hauling an altered book with me on travels, but when my friend Lynn came to studio night making herself a nice lightweight journal a light bulb went on.
 
I've been reading some books, one of them Gwen Diehn's The Complete Decorated Journal, which gave me the idea of dropping color onto the pages before I bound them to avoid the dreaded blank page syndrome. I used walnut ink and a small bit of dylusions spray ink. I only put color on one side of the paper, and bound color to color, blank to blank, so there are some plain white pages too.
 
 
I used Stonehenge paper on the recommendation of my friend Lisa- it is nice paper, smooth enough to draw on, but taking other media well too.
 
I did my expense report this morning and, as usual, was left with a raft of receipts. Decided to incorporate them into the cover. The maps are rental car maps of regular destinations- Phoenix, Fort Worth and Portland. Lubbock & SoCal are also represented, as is United and Boise Airport.


Here's a look at some of the pages. There are 5 signatures (groups) of 4 pages folded in half.

 
Here's the end result- I love it! A wash of Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold ties everything together and we are properly accessorized :)
 

The pages are protected by the cover wrapping around on the inside as well as the outside, where it ties closed.

 
Another look at the pages
 


The front inside cover-


And the spine....
 
Now all I have to do is actually use this- but I am looking forward to it. I'll still bring along a small journal to doodle in, but I plan to actually draw in this one- stay tuned!

2 comments:

Sharon P Pope said...

What a great idea! Your journal is beautiful! :)

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I have Gwen Diehn's book, too, and love these handmade books. That's an excellent idea to drop colour onto the pages so that you're not starting with a blank page. I get the impression you don't have much downtime when you're away travelling with work, but I hope you get chance to do some artwork in these lovely journals.