Monday, May 20, 2013

old dogs..... new tricks

i started my 55th circle around the sun in april. i am so happy to be where i am now- i have a great life, i am having a great time exploring my creativity and learning, i have wonderful friends and husband & family, a job that i like more often than not and that affords me fun things. I believe that people come into your life for a reason- when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
 
 
and lord knows, we should NEVER get too comfortable! so on the last day of birthday month (literally- it was may 1, bday is april 2) my dear friends lynn & lisa threw me a party. lynn gave me a beautiful piece of art loaded with meaning
 
 
 
and lisa made me a book. from a 1950s American kennel club book that she & lynn saw at the library sale. ( i got the insides too). you can't see in this photo, but there are dragonflies on the long beads on the spine. there is a lovely drawing of molly and an inscription on the "title" page.
 
 
pressure! i can't let this gift sit empty, but i can't draw (ok- I am more comfortable with my camera. I don't draw). we're pretty sure that one of the reasons that lisa is in my life is to get me out of my comfort zone.

backgrounds are easy.....


 
and for some reason, as I was sitting in dfw drinking a glass of wine headed home I thought " I have this moleskin sketchpad that I've been hauling around in my purse for a year and a sharpie, what's the worst that could happen?"
 
 
 
here's the worst that could happen:
 
 
ok, I survived that, and even showed it to a few people.
 
I always overhear things in airports or bars when I travel that I find interesting, or talk to people and learn things. so why not combine?

 
it's a chronicle that I plan to continue with- and since I am a traveling fool for a while there will be plenty of new entries. maybe the drawing will improve :) but it's a start at getting comfortable.

 
at the class on saturday we were given the option of drawing a tarot card for inspiration. I drew an armadillo from the animal deck. which seemed odd until the reading, which was about setting boundaries and protecting oneself. the advice was to draw a circle and write within it everything that you want in your life, that can come in at any time. outside that circle things have to ask permission to be admitted.
 
after I organized the studio yesterday I started this journal page-
 
 
and here's where it is now-


and you know what? I feel strong and protected and like I have a choice. maybe there's something to this art journaling after all...... 

have a great week-

1 comment:

Barb said...

Marianne - you look so happy! I like this idea of art journaling a lot - I once read a book about art journaling but never started. I love all the things you're allowing in your circle! This is the truth: " when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."