Tuesday, April 24, 2012

what art means


i had the best experience teaching my first mixed media class- and if you'd like to read about it please visit my other (more professional) blog on my website- www.greatwideopenart.com , because i have other things to talk about here.

we had a conversation last night about what art means to us as artists & to viewers. i am not an educated artist. i often hear references that i am clueless about (tho i will check it out later if i'm intrigued). so i get being someone who is interested in and likes art but is intimidated by ART.

 i love sitting in my booth at shows listening to people talk about my work. it took me a while to get to this point, but it's all fun now. (well, 90% of the time). people know just how i did something and explain it to their friends at length. only they're usually wrong ( happens with photography a lot). or they could do the same thing, or they explain the symbolism of a piece. and i love to hear what they see in things i've created.

one of the women in the class last night asked if i did a painting with mountains and a road- and i knew right away what she was talking about. i have had so many people tell me that they knew exactly where this is. maybe one got it right. but everyone so clearly had an emotional attachment to the place that they "knew" it was.

karen said that she bought this card, framed it and looked at it in exile knowing that some day she would get back home. that, to me, is the highest compliment. i managed, in this painting, to capture an essence of a landscape that speaks to those of us who love this area. people know that this is in idaho, colorado, montana, oregon. it doesn't matter. it's home.

to me, art succeeds when it provokes an emotional response- if someone smiles, laughs, is calmed, wonders, looks deeper, it's good. i love knowing that someone wants to live with and look at something that i created. i love hearing that i created something that made a difference to someone.

i have art in japan, england, illinois, florida, colorado, california, washington and other places i don't even know about. i am sure that some of it is treasured & some of it is in a closet. but it's all out there because it touched someone. that is amazing. it's a gift to me from the universe.

3 comments:

Michelle V. Alkerton said...

Congrats on your workshops and I too love your landscape :).
Stay inspired!

Barb said...

I'm so happy your class went well. You gave and also received. When I look at those rolling mountains I "see" something in my own experience. This is how art touches us, I think.

Postcards from Wildwood said...

Just been over to read your mixed media write-up, Marianne. Congratulations! As for this piece - it is lovely, and so great that it is 'home' for so many people!

I've been thinking a lot about what art is lately, whether what I do can even count as art, and also (a LOT!) about voice, which was part of your comment on my recent post, and which I'm going to write some more about. Regarding this difference in what the artist is trying to say and what the viewer might receive - what would you say is your message? Is it connected to what you say here:
'art succeeds when it provokes an emotional response- if someone smiles, laughs, is calmed, wonders, looks deeper, it's good.'

Wishing you a happy weekend,
Janice. x