wow- it's already friday! what happened?
i did get to spend the evening in my studio, though, and am so happy about that. mostly getting ready for sunday's gallery hanging. i will be short about 10 linear inches this month cuz i didn't get enough made and i don't want to trot old stuff out. oh well!
i finally found a good use for all of those stupid sawtooth hangers that come with prefab frames that i can't use for shows. when i went to clip the canvas into the frame i found that the clips were wider than my canvas. so i got creative. i now know why i didn't just toss these damn things.
and here's the front- looks like i did a decent job of rendering mr. buff.
i finally got this where i want it. took a bit of work. the bird is scratched into drywall paste, the rest of the piece is modeling paste & a bit of crackle paste. this is an old piece reworked.
started with a black bird- crow, raven, that was the thought. but it just didn't work.
decided that everything was too close tonally, but i couldn't figure out how to lighten the background.
went for color, but i still have no darks or lights. and it's kinda garish, not quite what i was going for.....
i quit taking photos of all of the background trials, but after many washes and alcohol rub outs i finally put a white glaze on it and a quince nickel azo (my old standby) wash and got it to where i wanted it. i also used some turquoise acrylic ink to get the bird where i wanted her, and dropped liquid thalo blue in the low spots. and i actually like it and am done:)
looking forward to more plaster play. got some goodies from blick- sculpey clay for making casts and plaster tape- to experiment with. but first, open studios website maintenance tomorrow- three of us are getting together to upload the artist images for our october open studios weekend tomorrow afternoon and then eilen jewell tomorrow night. fun stuff!