in my never ending quest for new things to try i picked up some ready patch at the hardware store to use as a base for some mixed media pieces.
i really like plaster of paris because of its absorbency, but it is very brittle when put on canvas & requires lots of gel medium to keep it from flaking off. someone suggested trying drywall paste, which is how i ended up with this.
this is an application of watered down quinceadrine nickel azo, soaking in irregularly & making for interesting color variations. so far, so good.
i added several layers of color, including more nickel azo & some sienna, then spattered some prussian blue on for interest.
time to decide on an image- tried on two transparencies-
i like this one better because more of the background shows through
i added more spatters- titan white and copper
then the transfer. i added caulk over the entire area to have the same texture & sheen throughout. i will try with lazertran as well, as that will sink into the base & create a different look. i think that'll wait til i can work outside, though- it requires turpentine!
and here is the finished product- i added another layer of spatters- fine gold this time. if you click on the image & enlarge you will see the texture from both the ready patch and the caulk as well as the depth added by those spatters.
and now off to work! i am hoping to get up the nerve to tackle those bunnies tonight- they have me scared! i haven't painted an image in so long, and never with acrylic. i did buy keep it wet longer stuff, so that should help.