Tuesday, November 9, 2010

what do you call yourself?

sometimes i say i'm a photographer, which in the strictest sense is true- i do take photos, but when i hear REAL photographers- those who are passionate about the art form, who will sit for hours waiting for light, who always shoot manually (among other things) talk about their work i realize that i am, at best, a dabbler with good equipment and a bit of an eye who gets lucky and shoots a good image once in a while.

it was a beautiful day today, and easy to get those lucky shots.







i do find it much more comfortable to say that i'm an artist, tho i still feel an imposter at that sometimes too. but the more i say it, the easier it is to believe :)

8 comments:

Jesse Noe Mendez said...

Hi there,

I was reading your blog, and it is cool, so I want to invite you to visit my blog. If you follow me, I will follow you. So what do you think?

Jesse

lilasvb said...

so nice pictures!

Anne said...

I can totally relate to how you feel about labels like artist and photographer.

I think these look great!

B @ Sweet Limes said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures you got there!

Good question, what do I call myself? I think I'm in the process of finding that out.

Barb said...

Luminous, Marianne - you do have the eye! I'm supposed to take a photography class tomorrow evening at Botanic Garden. However, we're under a storm warning here...

marianne said...

thanks all! barb- hope thge weather improves for you! look forward to seeing your results, you have a bit of an eye yourself!

Eden said...

Wow!! You DO take awesome photos!! Love the colors and balance you've captured. So interesting to hear about what you call yourself and it's interesting that so many "artists" resist the label....wonder why??? Cuz then they r more forced to perform? Don't know, but you're not alone....Came from AEDM this morning and glad I did :D

becky said...

Marianne,
I usually call myself an amateur photographer, a fledgling artist... and a human being!
:)love all that yellow!