Tuesday, February 9, 2010

love my markers!

open studio tonight, just me & kristy. brought along my new markers & colored pencils to play with. amazing how much difference there is when you upgrade- the prismacolor pencils are much softer & blendier than the cheap variety (duh!)
all about my art markers tonight. and they're big fun too.
here she is.... i'm still finding my way with the transition from sketchbook doodles to a more finished art piece with these, but i think it's getting closer. and fun to play in the meantime.

in other news, i applied for boise open studios (bosco) in november. we were supposed to know the results of the jury in mid january, and i received an email yesterday that i have been accepted. i'd like to share part of the letter:

All jurors agreed that your work exhibits the professionalism we look for when considering
BOSCO membership. Jurors mentioned an appreciation for the textures in most of your works.
Some expressed concern with the pieces containing gold leaf as being too decorative. One
consideration a couple of jurors thought worth mentioning is the use of metal bolts with the
Plexiglas works, they thought the bolts might be distracting since new shiny metal objects
contradict the natural depictions. Overall your work is visually rich and well designed and all of
us agree you are a good fit with BOSCO.
 
I am glad to be accepted as part of the group, and appreciative that time was taken to share comments. I wonder, though, about the subjective nature of the remarks. This is the same group that sent my friend a letter sharing the juror's thoughts that her watercolors were amateurish. Comments like that, rather than steering an artist in the right direction, can be enough to make them quit trying, unless they have a strong support system or a lot of self confidence.
 
I am fine with the jurors not liking parts of my work- there's plenty of art that I'm not crazy about. I guess that what I wonder about is how helpful comments like this are, because I do assume that that is the intent. I understand how some people view these pieces, but I wouldn't do them differently.
 
It is nice to know what the juror was thinking, though, because then, just like with any constructive criticism, a person has the ability to decide to either address the issues or find a venue where they aren't a concern.
 
I'm curious to know what you think. I guess that to me helpful feedback is the nuts & bolts stuff about use of medium, perspective, photos being bad- technical, quantitative info. And there has to be a better way to tell someone that their work isn't at the level a group would like to see than calling it amateurish.
 
I think that's the crux of it for me- I had a lot of support and encouragement when I was starting to put my art out there. I was also 40 years old. It's really important to me to nurture and encourage emerging artists. That doesn't mean that they need to be juried in if the work isn't good enough, but it does mean giving practical advice on how to improve if possible.
 
anyway- enough of that, i'm glad to be a member of bosco, if i'm that worried about the jury letters i will get involved in the process. i was just thinking about it and am interested in other perspectives.
 

8 comments:

Steph said...

Dear Marianne
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!! Secondly and most importantly, I love your work..Keep creating!!

marianne said...

thanks so much steph!

Liberty said...

wow!
I found you via CED. I really love the Autumn Bouquet and 3 Dreams pieces.

Judy Wood said...

I've been on both sides of the jurying fence. I agree that being supportive and non-damaging is important, and certainly your friend's jurors could have made their point more tactfully. However, at the point your an art career that you are asking for more formal evaluation of your work (as in being juried), you have to be prepared for some kickback.
As with everything in life, you can take or leave what the jurors have to say. If you are getting the same comments on a consistent basis over time, you (as in "one", not you personally) might want to think about your process.
I had a traumatic jurying event myself last year, and once I got over licking my wounds and feeling sorry for myself (and I *did* get juried in) I took the lesson and moved on. Nobody said this ride was always going to be easy, but it is always interesting!

marianne said...

liberty- thanks!

and thanks judy- i agree with your comments. part of the process is definitely learning to be objective about our work, and there's no other way to do that than to get feedback & evaluate what it means. i appreciate your input.

Liberty said...

I'm not a juror or any kind of art expert but I actually really like the look of the metal bolts next to the organic textures and image.
The line between criticism and 'constructive' criticism is very blurry to me and I think that many people don't have the diplomacy, tact or sensitivity needed to give criticism in a way that it can be taken truly constructively.

I think I'd need to be extremely self-confident to expose my work to a jury.

marianne said...

thanks liberty- that's what i meant about it being subjective. i see what they mean, but i disagree. which is fine. it's just like feedback at a job or in a relationship- pay attention, think about whether the comments have merit & act from there. but it is a lot more helpful if the feedback is phrased properly- it may be valid, but that's missed b/c of the delivery. in many cases there is never any feedback as to why a piece was not taken, which is even worse, imho. my first entry to a juried show was just to see if i could. it's one way to learn, and non acceptance doesn't necessarily mean the work isn't good- it vould mean it didn't fit the juror's vision for the show.

dewatobay said...

EXCELLENT - recognition of your passion.