Wednesday, November 11, 2009

words

it's not a good idea to try to write anything that needs to go out in the world when reading barbara kingsolver (or any other good author).

nonetheless, i need to have 1) an artist bio; 2) an artist statement and 3) an artist resume ready to go by saturday. sure i have bits & pieces and old attempts, but my work has changed quite a bit (see below- newest at the top going to the oldest). this doesn't even include the photography....

so i've downloaded some things from the internet and pulled out my copy of art marketing 101 and started generating ideas.... here's what i know so far:

i love prussian blue and alizarin crimson..... and ochre

i love nature- flowers, landscapes, the sky, seeds, trees, birds....

the cadmiums are good too..... and cerulean....

texture- love it, find it interesting, try not to cringe and instead be glad of the reaction when people touch my work- after all, texture should MAKE people want to touch (not that they should actually DO it until they've purchased the piece, but that's for another day)....

and i love to have people tell me that they know just where that landscape is, even if they're a few states off....


that was the creative journey for this evening.

i'm going to go to bed & dream about my work, and words that describe it, and art, and what making art means to me. i know that these are good things to think about, and to write up, but it's very difficult for me to properly frame the concepts and harder still to articulate.

out of the comfort zone!

9 comments:

Postcards from Wildwood said...

What a beautiful collection of your work, Marianne. I clicked on your changing 'Art Adventures' widget some time back and thought at the time what a wonderful world of colour you inhabit! What you've put together for your artist's statement so far looks good to me. Love the bit about being a few states off! (BTW I know those trees on your blue plexi piece - they're just along the cliff path from me...)
Janice.

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

I hate having to write about myself or my work---someone else? Not to bad to do. But for me it's pure pain and brain-freeze. You have my sympathy.
They work you posted is exceptional, divers, and probably makes writing the statement even harder! Would it help to focus on you current are of work for the statement---your bio should be fairly simple but painful (!!) and the resume, ummmmm, I am assuming there is something of a gem hidden in the computer that you can cut and paste some words?
I pretend I am writing for someone else.....then I can get it done.
Texture, color and photography (in that order) would be where I would start.
For what it's worth....
Best of luck!

XXOO!!
Anne

marianne said...

thanks guys! i appreciate the support & ideas.....

wow- janice- how did you know? :) tho if they're down the road from you, it's more than a few states off- an ocean away!

anne- thanks for the commiseration. i was so sure this is a snal for everyone else! (ha)

Susie said...

Beautiful work. It is so striking.

Karen L R said...

I have to write a mission statement for my life for a class tonight. Talk about a challenge! All this stuff seems to be coming together at the same time and I'm really feeling energized! Love what you've posted here today.

marianne said...

thanks for your comments susie & karen!

Karen- that sounds REALLY hard!have fun!

Julie said...

Your work is beautiful.

linda said...

Wow...fantastic body of work...and I love YOUR color loves. Writing about yourself is always hard, so it helps actually to ask others what they think of your work sometimes. From my point of view, it's definitely something about accenting nature's elements and seemingly simple scenes, the small details of life and what there is to notice using bold color, texture and photographic imagery. Great work!

Kathiesbirds said...

Oh, good for you! I bought Art 101 and started reading it but never got past the first chapter. I'm too busy blogging but I am trying to reconnect with my art. Yours is beautiful and I hope all goes well with you! I found your blog from Skywatch Friday. I clicked on it because I love Idaho. I have a birding blog and an art and poetry blog called Kathie's Poet Tree. I write and paint about Idaho there.