Saturday, November 14, 2009








I create to share the tranquility and awe that I experience in the great wide open. I hope to convey spirituality and a sense of wonder by accenting nature's elements and small details in my work.

My art is representational with a twist. Vibrant colors, texture and layering add a personal, sometimes surrealistic, perspective. I am currently making mixed media using my photographs as a foundation. Photography was my first form of artistic expression and it is a joy to merge my photos with painting and texture to create something completely new.

The best things I hear about my art are “that’s how that feels to me”; “you’ve captured the feeling”, “I don’t know where that is, but I want to be there”; “I know where this is”; (especially since 9 of 10 times, it’s not the original geography.) Those comments mean I’ve captured the spirit of a place. Since I my intent is to share the beauty I see, if one of my pieces generates that kind of an emotional response, I’m happy.

2 comments:

Anne Huskey-Lockard said...

The combination of words and images is perfect. I love the diversity of the images in the post--I like seeing what wide bounderies you have with your art. Using the photos as a basis for mixed media is exciting and the txtural value of the pieces is of course, drawing me in!
Wonderful work! Wonderful words!
The artists statement, in part or whole? :)

XXOO!!
Anne

marianne said...

thanks anne! that's the first stab at the statement- and it may be the last, since i need to bundke things up & send them off before noon..... :) so i'm glad you approve!