i was concerned about drilling holes in the plexi, so i taped where i was going to drill and then spritzed water on, per the destructions i downloaded. only one problem. even tho the epson ink is waterproof the quality evidently doesn't apply if printed on digital ground. or the digital ground is water soluble. either way...... i lost the coneflowers.
so i went to plan b. the good news is that the drilling went fine. i used 4 sizes of drill bits and as long as i was drilling down instead of in reverse (yeah, well, i'm new to this power tool stuff)
it worked ok. no cracking or chipping.
put the bolt in, then screwed a nut underneath for a spacer. then into the board. which, incidentally also drilled fine. the gel medium coat was a must- it would have crumbled otherwise, but now has a more resilient texture. this is not a great photo, but it gives the idea of the finished piece. i may add some drops of turquoise on the background. i'll look at it for a while & think about it..... the actual color is more vivid than what you see here- shooting inside at night w/o flash doesn't do much for true color! i also printed a transparency of the coneflowers to transfer to the plexi so that if i decide i would really rather have that image (there were some nice echos of the image on the plexi in the movement of the darker shapes at the top of the base).
not bad for a first try, tho! please let me know what you think- constructive criticism good too!