Friday, October 17, 2008

the critters

must share echo with his festive fall look....
fortunately he is secure enough in his bouvishness to display the bit of rabbitbrush on his ear proudly.


echo is a wonderful guy who i was lucky enough to get as a breeder take back. i (my husband always says that they are my animals,and i don't want to implicate him in anything he doesn't want to be part of ) lost 2 bouviers in 2006, tara at nearly 14 to cancer


and teddy at 10 one week after i brought halle home... also to cancer


i was so grateful to have halle and not have a dogless house but i missed having a bouvier. so after about a month i contacted rescue. they didn't have any rescue dogs who would be ok with cats, but there was a breeder take back. enter echo. i can't believe anyone gave him up, but i am so glad that they did.

bouvies are not easy dogs. they can be sort of (?!) stubborn, and are too smart for their own good. not always so good with strange dogs or with cats. their independent aloof except with family outlook suits me just fine. i sometimes think that i resemble my dogs not in looks (not yet anyway- until i start growing a mustache) but in temperament......

love the swisster too- ended up with this breed b/c hub wanted one non burr collecter & this was a short haired dog with a temperament similar to a bouvier. she is charmingly independent and really silly and a snuggler.

then there's tink- she had tara & tedders trained. and halle was headed that way until echo showed up. back to square one, and (for tink) eating on top of the fridge and staying away from dogs. she is a very social cat, so it's hard on her sometimes...now that echo knows not to mess with her, halle has no manners, but we'll get there... i love cats too- their independence and how nice it is when they decide to sit on your lap and purr....
anyway- this is my furry support group. i'm thankful for them and try to be mindful of the lessons they bring me.


3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love the fact that you show your trials and errors on your blog. They are, believe it or not, inspirational.
Your dogs and Tink are precious. I think my greyhound and whippet would eat a cat.

mk said...

thanks for stopping by marilyn- i work really hard to keep my dogs from hurting tinkerbell...fortunately i have a really smart cat, and the dogs are pretty good. glad my goofs are useful to someone else too :)

Diane said...

I love all your animals & so glad you include them in your blog. Such wonderful creatures that bring us so much happiness! I couldn't live without them.